Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Joe Strummer, Live From Wormtown

  Well, what can I say about this? The most famous person I've interviewed of my career. The one and only Leader of The Clash. I had been in touch with his US record company during the week of October 2001 leading up to his show with The Mescaleros at The Palladium to no avail. I decided to bring my micro cassette recorder along just in case. The show was fantastic and it looked like I wouldn't get the chance to talk with him afterwards. Then I ran into Scott McLennan, who was there covering the show for The Telegram and Gazette. I told him of my plight and he handed over his backstage pass and I was off to the dressing room. I was told to wait a few minutes while Joe relaxed after the set. I could smell the district aroma of Marijuana drifting out from behind the curtain and then was invited in to talk.  The interview only lasts about six minutes and as you'll hear, the room became filled with band members, roadies and others and quickly turned into an after show party. We had a few drinks, a few smokes, and then made our way out into the night. All in all an experience I'll never forget.


Joe Strummer, Live From Wormtown
 


photos by Skip West

No comments: